Hello folks,
Here is my 2 cents after practicing English for many years.

You know why I am writing in English, right!?
If you can't understand what I am saying here, there is no reason to leave Iran at this point of your life, unless you go and learn English and come back to fully comprehend what is going on here.

You never regret a minute of learning English when you step outside the beautiful country of Iran. Conversely, you will regret deeply all those times where you could have improved your English, but you didn't.

Learning English is a constant effort. I am telling you if you plan to leave Iran, you MUST keep practicing English and abundant those funny thoughts that circulate among Iranians saying "negaran nabash, shish maah too Kharej bashii zabanet aali mishe". No, this is absolutely NOT true. Your English only gets better if you keep working on it months after months and hold on to your motivation/desire to learn long after you settle down in a foreign country.

This is a friendly advice from someone who have seen Iranians not being able to order a pizza over the phone even after living 5 years in US. Seriously 5 years...We will NEVER be like native speakers of a given country, but we can be so fluent to impressive them or impress our own self-confidence. Of course, being fluent has tremendous advantage in your daily like as well, from academia to socializing and many more circumstances.

Here is a quick test to ask yourself to see if you are getting closer to be a fluent English speaker.

1. Do you think effortfully to put together words/grammar before making a sentence?
  2. Can you spontaneously start a conversion if someone asks you a question out of the blue?
  3. Do you rehears any phrase or piece of song in English?
  4. Can you type around 50-60 English word per minute without many egregious mistakes?
  5. Do you get very anxious before starting an English conversation? Or the talk/words naturally flow(s)?

And many more. You could add anything that comes to your mind.

Keep up your fantastic hard work...

Sasali

P.S. You might see few typos here and there because I am banging up words quickly to move on to another topic. We always have typos as an ESL when talking fast.